What Is Saffiano Leather and How Do I Protect It?
It’s a question we hear all the time! As more and more bags made from ‘Saffiano’ are appearing in our designer label stores, we felt it important to do some digging and find out exactly what Saffiano Leather is and are we really getting what we pay for?
The way the leather is made is by a stamping method. This leather, being a textured leather, meaning that it is a treated leather made with the texture pressed on it by a machine. It gives the leather a cross-hatch finish, which is a special diagonal pattern. This calf hide leather is also finished with a wax treatment. As a result, the leather is pretty much scratch resistant, durable and easy to clean.
It makes a great leather for briefcases, handbags, totes and purses the list goes on! With its remarkable durability it also creates a vibrant, saturated colour which is why we have chosen it for our Autumn/ Winter range this year as we want you to love your Aspinal product for a Lifetime!
Saffiano leather was first made in one of Italy’s most famous tanneries and was a signature and patent of established design house Prada. This leather was originally made from the highest quality calf leather. The name Saffiano comes from the cross hatch print that was pressed into the wax that coated the leather. It is supposed to be water-resistant, if not waterproof and on a vegetable tanned base.
Today this iconic print is used on a wide range of leathers and PU coated splits. There, there are many factories using the cross-hatch pattern and calling the end product Saffiano. In the same way that Russian, Moroccan and Cordovan leather once had clear geographical and technical definitions, This leather is now made in many countries and in different ways.
So although what we see is the same Saffiano print across all the current designer brands, what is actually underneath the surface could be no better than your cheap split leather with a surface coating simply printed with the cross hatch design ‘Saffiano Leather’.
Care and Maintenance for Saffiano Leather
Want to protect and prolong the life of your Saffiano leather from the comfort of your home? Use The Handbag Spa’s exclusive Dermo Protect product to prevent problems such as dye transfer and day to day staining.
Dermo Protect is a water based handbag protector spray, which protect’s finished and un-finished leathers from day to day staining, liquids, dye transfer, ink, oil, sun light damage and more.
CAN BE USED ON: Finished & Unfinished Leather, Full Grain, Aniline Leather, Lambskin, Calfskin, Exotic, Ostrich, Epi and Vachetta Leather.
Saffiano leather made up from best quality calf leather. It was first created in Italy’s tanneries and was a brand and established Prada. The Title Saffiano, get from wax that is generated from pressed hatch print.
It is originally water-resistant also sometimes vegetable tanned base. Now, this print is used on a broad range of leathers and PU coated stuff. A lot of factories are using cross hatch pattern and the end product is called as Saffiano.
This leather has series of diagonal lines and hatch designs that makes the leather resistant to stains, scratches, durable and easy to clean. This the reason that most of the high end fashion industries use Saffiano leather.
The original saffiano leather was created in its recognizable cross-hatch embossed grain in calf skin. It was vegetable-tanned and waxed (impregnated with wax for durability and water resistance)
History of Saffiano
Saffiano leather has an origin in Italy. Originally, Prada had a patent for real Saffiano leather. It is possible that it was invented by Mario Prada himself in Italy and it is one of Prada´s masterpieces. The first handbags made from Saffiano were made in 1913, when Prada started its designer handbags journey.
Originally it was done in 1913 by one Italian tannery for Prada (they had a patent on it).
It is now produced by many tanneries and even in faux leather and has become more of a generic term to describe the characteristic cross-hatch pattern. There are expensive and cheap versions.
Its allure is that it has the pattern and comes in a variety of colours because it isn’t tanned in that colour (natural colour is the light leather colour) but has a coloured coating applied to it so it is vibrant and textured.
It may or may not be waxed.
Saffiano Leather: Definition, properties and cleaning
More and more bags are made from “Saffiano”. It’s durable and practical material which is easy to clean. But what exactly is a Saffiano leather? Where did it come from and how it is produced? Read on to find out!
Definition: What is Saffiano leather?
And how to define Saffiano? It is textured leather where the texture is made by machine. It has a cross-hatch style and diagonal pattern and it is usually made from calf skin (genuine) or poly-urethane (faux) with wax finish. Let’s get a closer look at detailed images.
Process of production
- Its production is really interesting as it is put under a machine heated to 165F.
- Then, the leather is pressed on for 10-15 seconds.
- Then, it is treated with wax finish – it gives the leather durability and it prevents scratches and cracks on the handbag.
- The only thing which could harm saffiano is the razor-sharp item. If this happened, it could cut through the wax finish. Today, it is also produced as quality artificial (faux) leather made from polyurethane. Luxurious handbags as for example Love Moschino or DKNY use this faux leather type.
Properties of Saffiano
- This italian leather has a great durability and it creates vibrant and colorful pieces. Texture has unique and unmistakable look. It comes in many colors and is typical by its scratch-resistance and water-resistance.
- Because of its shape and form, the convex peaks wear off faster. Then it causes that the leather loses its signature and bi-coloured look.
Is Saffiano leather waterproof?
Well, the Saffiano leather is water-resistance, but it doesn’t mean you can keep your handbag while diving in a sea. So you can wear your saffiano leather stuff in rain, but this should be its only contact with water.
Photo: Wax create a surface protective layer, so water droplets can’t absorb ↓
How to care about it?
- Get protection with HD Transparent Coating.
- If the stain occurs, look for immediate professional help.
- Do not rub the leather. It could cause tear of the convex peak.
Cleaning leather is realy easy. Just wipe it with dry and soft cloth. You will thus remove dust and dirt. Wipe it all gently.
- From time to time, do a more thorough cleaning. It means you should use moist cotton cloth.
The moist cloth should not be too wet (actually it’s a good cleaner also when dry).
Nội dung liên quan:
- What Is Saffiano Leather and How Do I Protect It?
- Dây da đồng hồ và Tất cả những gì cần nên biết
- Mọi điều cần phải về biết dây đồng hồ da bò
- Hướng Dẫn Cách Bảo Quản Và Vệ Sinh Dây Da Đồng Hồ Như Mới
- Da bò saffiano leather là gì? Những khái niệm cơ bản về ba bò Saffiano
- saffiano leather là gì
- mua da saffiano
- what is saffiano leather michael kors
- how to fix scratch on saffiano leather
- saffiano leather vs pebbled leather
- what is michael kors saffiano leather made of
- saffiano prada
- saffiano leather kate spade
- saffiano leather shoes
- saffiano leather bag